Home Forums Business of Medicine Discussion Forum The Mayo and the Ritx know leadership

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    David Joyce MD, MBA
    Participant

Case Study: Mayo Clinic Experience Leadership and Burnout
    Good leaders have employees that are highly engaged resulting in low turnover and a stable practice environment for the patients. We all know the benefits of employee engagement. Patients become engaged, they are healthier and require less resources. In a value based care setting this is the holy grail. Yet rarely do we measure engagement among our employees. The Ritz Carlton has the highest level of employee engagement in any industry. They measure it regularly and their leadership is highly focused on improving it. Why do we not measure engagement in healthcare. It may be because it could open a can or worms that no one wants opened.
    The Mayo Clinic opened that can by surveying the engagement of all their providers. They organized engagement scores by department and immediate supervisor and saw an interesting pattern. When combined with a “burnout” survey they saw that poor engagement score were aligned with high “burnout” levels. What? Poor leadership contributes to physician burnout and good leadership reduces it? Exactly.
    One problem, they don’t share the number of leaders whose physicians scored them high. The link below contains this newsletter and the data table.
    What is clear is that good leadership, “Quality Leadership” improves engagement and sustains the work environment. Imagine, happy physicians, low turnover, healthy patients. Why no one teaches us leadership as a basic skill in medical school or residency is a missed opportunity.
    Thanks for all that you do. If you know someone who needs to brush up on their business skill send them to us.
    Take Care all,
    Dr. J

David Joyce MD, MBA
    Participant
    Kara Hawkins

Participant

It is disappointing that hospitals don’t address burnout. Sure, they given the token lecture and a pass to a mindfulness course, but most are not addressed the heart of the problem. It gets blown over .

David Joyce MD, MBA
    Participant

I think the Mayo addresses the heart of the problem, which is the business process under which we all work.  Good leaders who operate under a “Quality Leadership” environment see much less burnout.  I wonder how many of the “good” leaders have formal training in leadership?  My bet is too few and yet somehow they figure it out.  No doubt they could all get better and then who knows the impact on burnout.  Leadership is all about providing a sustainable, empowering, fulfilling, engaging work environment.  It is not so intuitive, I didn’t figure it out until I learned it in business school.  But then again isn’t that why we learn?

Easy to send someone to “mindfulness” training, which is only a band aid, when what is needed is good accountable leadership.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.