Home Forums Business of Medicine Discussion Forum Start Here, Instructor Question

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    David Joyce MD, MBA
    Participant
    Velma Scantlebury

Participant

My role as a physician is to provide the best possible care to my patients. However, when working for a system where 99% decisions are made at the top while at the same time pretending to engage employees via surveys only result in workers who feel that their input is not valued. This can result in “just doing my job”‘mentality.

When a theory X style exist, workers may seem “less intelligent ” as the previous participant implied. Give such an employee an opportunity to be engaged and he/she has much to contribute

David Joyce MD, MBA
    Participant

Wow Velma, you sound like you are channelling Deming.  He ran into the same type of thinking when he attempted to bring his data driven improvement ideas to the American auto industry in the 1950s.  The rebuttal he received ended up almost bringing down that same industry when he went to Japan and found a country with a dismal industrial environment and a willingness to change.  The result, Toyota, Honda and Nissan, although back in the day they were Datsun, and their “Quality Leadership” based on data driven improvement technique.

Clearly, engaging employees at all levels will result in engaged patients.  There is one thing we know about engaged patients, they take care of themselves much better and have better health outcomes.

Thanks for your comment.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.